Monday, April 3, 2017

Week 8: Day 35-40 - VA Votes #1


Monday:
Today, I accessed Mr. Elkner's postgres server and created a database called "va_votes". We added postgis to it, and I will be accessing it using a tool called QGIS. Unfortunately, the file was taking forever to install, it had a 2 hour estimate at 2:15 pm so I was not gonna have it done downloading by the end of class. One hopes the installation would be faster haha. For the rest of class I was learning postgres commands from their website, and I also helped Ali fix his connection to a virtual machine.

Tuesday:
Today, I studied some more postgres commands about user/role management, and file system management. I finished installing QGIS, and I'm in now. I connected to Mr. Elkner's server, and attempted to load the precinct data of Virginia. Although it did load, it took forever, and anytime I zoomed, it would return to loading for a very long time. Afterwards, we decided that it was best to make a postgres server that was local. I had Ali create a virtual machine for me, so I could create the server.

Wednesday:
Today, I created the postgres server locally. I got Mr. Elkner to transfer the precinct data from his server, in an SQL file, through scp to vavotes. I then transferred that data from the SQL file to the database "va_votes". On a side note, I also helped Ali fix his computer's connection to a virtual machine. Whether or not the precinct data loads quicker or at all, I will find out tomorrow since there isn't anymore time left in class.

Thursday:
It's confirmed, the data loads, and much quicker then before. Mr. Elkner laid out the course of action for the Taco Truck project, or at least gave me a preview of what's coming up. I proposed a new project to better my SQL skills, and that's to compile a playlist of my favorite artists, songs, and labels. He gave me the green light on that, and I've already started to be honest. I hope I can turn this into a website too in the near future.

Friday:
Today, I worked on my side project by inserting a lot of data into my tables and creating a database. In addition, I started analyzing the data that Marco gave me, and figuring out how to design the va_votes database. So far it seems like a lot of data to organize, and it's kind of hard for me to wrap my head around it right now, but hopefully that changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment